Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Windows Defender Update Error 0x8024402c

I've been using Windows Defender (beta 2) for a while now, and haven't really had any complaints. Just recently, however, I've been getting message balloons from Defender saying that it hasn't been able to update itself for 14 days, etc. When I manually triggered it to check for updates, it would fail with error code 0x8024402c ( WU_E_PT_WINHTTP_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED).
Searching for info on this lead me to instructions on using msiexec to uninstall the existing virus signatures, etc., but none of this worked.

Then I realized that I had recently switched to using my own Windows Update Server (WSUS). WD must have been seeking the updates from my WSUS rather than windowsupdate.com.

Resolution: Use WSUS Admin to turn on "Definition Updates" and set them to install automatically.

No comments: